Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Strength and Stillness, a BIRTHstory


Strength and Stillness, a BIRTHstory Slideshow from My Story Photography on Vimeo.

This is their BIRTHstory from my eyes...

Each couple I photograph is unique, and I am always touched in a different way when I witness my clients during one of their most vulnerable time.

I still remember the first time I met Daddy J and Mommy K. Daddy was quite a sentimental guy with a love for photographs and Mommy was a strong woman with a stillness to her. They were quite early in their pregnancy but were decided on booking me, even if I didn't carry much experience doing childbirth photography at that time. For this simple reason, I hold them dear and wanted nothing less than to give them my best for trusting me to capture such a special moment.

Months passed and my small business started to pick up. Then one day in November, I got a message from Mommy informing me that she was having mild labor pains but that it could still be awhile. I waited on standby for her next update. Over 24 hours later, Daddy informed me that they checked in the hospital at 2cm. Two hours later they were at 6cm. I immediately made my way to join them.

It was a long marathon. This couple had decided on a natural drug-free birth. I expected what I usually experience with Moms at 6cm without epidural -- pensive, serious, unable to smile or talk for very long. But when I entered the birthing room, I was pleasantly surprised to see Mommy walking around, talking, smiling, like nothing was happening! I knew then and there that this Mom could go the mile!



Hours past as the contractions got stronger. Mommy went from 6 to 8 cm in quite a short period but stopped progressing after that. She was a bit tired but still very strong and calm. She labored quietly and privately. I knew from the first time I met her that she was a strong woman, but this was a strength beyond what I imagined.



Daddy was calm, supportive and continuously in good spirit. He knew exactly the type of support his wife needed. Without having to do much, he constantly communicated his love and concern through gestures as simple as a look and a touch.



At the same time, I admired their doctor as she patiently waited for nature take its course even if it meant more time and effort for her.



As time passed, it became apparent that the best course of action was to opt for a cesarean. I could see the initial disappointment in their eyes and I felt for them. But deep inside I trusted that this was the best course of action, and I had a feeling they knew it too.

As the hospital was quite strict, I was unable to join them in the cesarean operating room. However, from the pictures I saw Daddy take, it looked like all the disappointment vanished when they saw their handsome and big baby boy :)



I joined them again when their baby was brought to the nursery. He was awake, alert and truly a blessing. Congratulations to the family! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment